St Mary’s Church Weaverham

St Mary’s Church Weaverham – A Background History and Description of the Windows in this Historic Building. THE COWARD WINDOW –South Aisle (1910) Engraved Brass Plaque: To the glory of God and in loving memory of his Father, Mother, Brothers and Sister, and Ancestors interred in this Churchyard, who now…

Continue reading

War Memorials

War Memorials The War Memorials Trust defines a war memorial as ‘any physical object created, erected or installed to commemorate those involved in or affected by a conflict of war’.  A war memorial can be anything from a monument or plaque to a tree. It can be a locomotive, a…

Continue reading

From the Archive

Crime and Punishment With crime and punishment never far from the news a look back through the archives reveals that in times past these issues have never been far away from the public gaze. Two cases featured in our records show how justice was dispensed in the early and late…

Continue reading

A Walk in our Village

The original name for the township was ‘Weaverham cum Milton’; the Parish (a parish being composed of several townships) was ‘Weaverham’. The parishes were set up by Theodore, Archbishop of Canterbury in the 7th century.  In the Domesday Book there are only a small number of parishes with a priest…

Continue reading

Our Publications

Since its formation Weaverham History Society has produced a number of publications.  The details of these are as follows: As part of a Heritage Lottery Foundation funded Oral History Project,  in 2004 Weaverham History Society published “Greetings from Weaverham, An Oral History“. In this book is recorded some of the…

Continue reading

Our Beginnings

A few interested people had for many years been transcribing the church records whilst others had been studying photographs and other aspects of village history. In 1983 they got together and on 21 March the Weaverham History Club was formed. This was renamed the Weaverham History Society in April 1987.…

Continue reading

Charles E Bebbington

Charles Bebbington lived in Poplar Cottage in the High Street. For over a century (1840-1942), it was occupied by the Bebbington family who were cabinetmakers and wood carvers, the last member being Charles Bebbington who was Church Sexton and Parish Clerk at the Parish Church for 39 years.

Continue reading